Spark Arena is a 12,000 capacity multipurpose arena in Auckland, New Zealand, attracting the biggest names in the world of sports & entertainment since 2007.
As an events-based and seasonal business, Spark Arena was experiencing several issues as a result of their staffing:
- High churn: Due to inconsistent work, casual employees were churning quickly seeking more regular hours.
- Time and cost of recruitment: Due to this high staff churn, Spark were constantly recruiting which was expensive and time consuming. The return on this was insufficient given the short tenure of casuals.
- Loss of productivity: It takes an average of 3 months for employees to reach full productivity, thus Spark’s workforce was functioning almost constantly under-capacity. Every shift, 30-40% of staff working had never worked at the arena before, having a highly negative impact on the customer experience.
Phase 1: Temporary Staffing
Attracted to the ease-of-use and transparency of Sidekicker, as well as their rigorous interviewing and screening processes, Spark Arena started using Sidekicker to top up numbers of hospitality workers for large events.
“Sidekicker makes hiring temps easier and faster than anything we’ve ever used before. I can post a request for staff–whether I need 5 or 200–at the click of a button, and select my Sidekicks based on experience and ratings, or if they’ve worked with us in the past, making hiring the right people simple,”
Michael Swan, Catering & Hospitality Manager at Spark Arena.
Using private Talent Pools, they were able to easily allocate shifts and re-hire the same staff repeatedly, which was improving staff repetition.
Phase 2: Workforce as a Service
Due to the superior staff quality, ease of use, speed to fill shifts, and ability to re-hire the same staff, Spark Arena’s workforce was increasingly made up of Sidekicker staff.
Seeing an opportunity to eliminate the admin burden of constant casual recruitment, and consolidate the management of their workforce onto a single platform, Spark Arena invited their internal casuals to join Sidekicker.
Sidekicker became the employer of record for Spark’s casual workforce and took on the recruitment responsibility.
Spark now uses Sidekicker to:
- Hire staff and allocate shifts–assigning shifts first to Talent Pools, and seamlessly hiring new staff using detailed staff profiles when required
- Schedule their workforce
- Manage timesheets and payment easily online
- Give their casual staff access to a fast and easy way to accept work, submit timesheets, and manage their schedule via the Sidekicker employee app
- Promote and up-skill Sidekicks into supervisory and management positions
- Leverage Sidekicker’s transparent platform with 2-way ratings and reviews to motivate staff and drive high performance and reliability
- Increased repeat staff per shift (i.e. people who had worked at Spark Arena before) from 60% to 95%
- Save over $20k annually, previously spent on casual recruitment and temp agencies
- Significantly improved quality and efficacy of staff, which resulted in queue reductions from 10+ metres to 1
- Used cost savings to build an innovative onboarding and training platform, used by all external hourly workers and internal permanent staff alike.
“In the earlier stage we used casuals that we worked with from other agencies, or who we found through networking. Since we found Sidekicker in 2017 we haven't looked back"