How to hire foreign workers for short-term and casual work in New Zealand
There are many benefits to hiring foreign workers for short-term and casual work, including filling skill gaps with trained, experienced and willing workers as well as adding cultural diversity to your team.
What classifies a foreign worker?
According to the New Zealand Government, a foreign worker is an individual who is not a New Zealand citizen or resident. They could be backpackers, seasonal workers or international students.
Can foreign visitors work in New Zealand?
Yes–however, a foreign visitor must have a valid visa with working rights.
According to Immigration New Zealand, you may also be required to complete a Labour Market Test to make sure there are no New Zealanders who can do the job before hiring foreign workers.
What are the different types of working visas?
New Zealand offers quite a large number of working visas, you can see a full list here.
- All working visas are temporary, though some can lead to residence.
- Working holiday visas are available to young people, usually aged 18 to 30, but 18 to 35 if you are from a select few countries.
- Some visas let you travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months, or 23 months if you are from the UK or Canada.
Where do foreign workers look for jobs?
Foreign workers use a number of platforms to source employment while they are in New Zealand these include:
- Facebook groups such as Backpacker Jobs New Zealand
- Via job board like SEEK
- Via recruitment agencies or online staffing platforms like Sidekicker
How do you manage visa requirements and restrictions for your workers?
If you are hiring foreign workers, it’s important to work closely with them to manage visa restrictions and keep up to date on expiry dates. All visas are slightly different depending on the country and age of the worker.
At Sidekicker, we pre-screen and interview all staff (who we call Sidekicks) before approving them to find work on Sidekicker. Our team closely monitors visa restrictions and expiry dates.
This means our clients can enjoy the benefits of scaling up their seasonal workforce with greatworkers while leaving tricky visa compliance with us.