Urban Foodies is the culinary hub for Catering in Melbourne. The hub includes a catering company, Bay Leaf; a private and corporate events space, The Woolstore + Co. and a corporate cooking classes, Urban Kitchen.
Due to the extent of their product offering, it’s really important for Urban Foodies to have access to a great team that have a diverse range of skills including bartending, chefs, event assistants and promo staff. During the events peak season Urban Foodies often face the following challenges:
- As the frequency of events increases, the number of staff available and required means Urban Foodies are often left short staffed
- The costs of hiring new staff are not feasible (recruitment, admin, onboarding) for staff they only need for a short period of time
- In the past Urban Foodies would turn to external staffing agencies, uni students or referrals from family and friends where the quality of talent was below their standards and outside of their control
“Prior to finding Sidekicker, the way we would boost our seasonal staffing pool would be using staffing agencies, university students, and referrals from family and friends.” – Victoria Black, Events Manager.
Hear about how Urban Foodies now manage their seasonal staffing demand below or keep reading!
A large part of Victoria Black’s role as Events Manager at Urban Foodies is coordinating teams for the events Urban Foodies host. She first used Sidekicker to fill a few last minute gaps in her roster, intrigued by the idea that you could hire staff on-demand via an online platform.
“When I first started using Sidekicker, I was really impressed about how easy it was to post a request. From writing my own job description to posting it out to hundreds of qualified workers, and then having that position filled in just a couple of hours.” – Victoria Black.
In comparison to the methods Victoria used to find staff prior to finding Sidekicker, she said “My favourite thing about Sidekicker is being able to hand-select staff for each event. Every event we have is so different, so to have the ability to select the staff to the brief is fantastic. Once a Sidekick applies to our job, I get to go in and hand-pick the chosen staff for our event.”
One of Sidekicker’s great features is their talent pool. If we’re out on a job and we find staff who we absolutely love, to have the ability to easily find them, and repost the shift just to them is fantastic.”
Urban Foodies now uses Sidekicker to:
- Avoid unnecessary costs of recruitment such as resume screening, interviewing, admin and payroll for short-term roles
- Fill gaps in their event rosters at the click of a button
- Hand-select the staff with the best experience to suit their multiple businesses
- Create talent pools so they can rehire the staff they love over and over
“Being able to select staff and utilise them for the short time that we need them and not have to bring them on to our payroll is hugely beneficial. We also love the fact that we can self-select our own staff; we’re not relying on an agency to select for us.” – Georgie Vile