With over 35 years’ experience working with Australia and New Zealand’s biggest live events and venues, Ticketek is the leading ticketing partner to the sports and entertainment industry.
Ticketek provides venues with an end-to-end ticketing and promotion service – from online sales, event delivery and frontline services to a dedicated team of call centre representatives and box office sales.
The Business Challenge
Operating in a highly seasonal industry, Ticketek experiences significant peaks and troughs in demand for their frontline workforce (i.e. call centre staff, box office staff, event day labour, and ticket scanning staff).
To manage this, Ticketek would run recruitment drives around the country 3-4 times per year, hiring dozens of casual staff at a time to scale up their workforce to cover peak periods.
Steve Prosser, Head of Frontline Services, describes the process:
“Our casual staffing operation would cause a lot of additional work during peak times. The process was a massive job for an already lean department – posting job ads, shortlisting candidates, interviewing, onboarding, preparing contracts, and then following up on paperwork – all just to get an employee set up. Not to mention the preparation of rosters, collation of timesheets and the weekly payroll process.”
Unable to provide regular work during downturn periods, quality casuals would churn, requiring Ticketek to go through the entire process again when their next peak period approached.
- Eliminate recruitment and payroll of casual workforce to free up HR / T&A staff to focus on core business drivers (e.g. training and development, culture, business growth, etc)
- Build a workforce of engaged staff who work regularly for Ticketek and have full choice and control over their work life through our worker app
- Allow Ticketek to scale up and down as and when needed, re-hiring the best staff through private Talent Pools
- Create countless efficiencies in the scheduling, managing and payment of staff through our end-to-end platform
- Improve staff quality with world-class screening processes, 2-way ratings and reviews, transparent staff profiles, and real-time performance reporting
“Sidekicker is a partnership made in heaven–it’s really how casual staffing should be done. Sidekicker is an integral part of our business, and lets us focus on our clients’ needs and getting them the best possible outcomes, knowing we have the best team taking care of our workforce–from recruitment to HR and payroll.” – Steve Prosser, Head of Frontline Services, Ticketek NZ
Engaging with Sidekicker Ticketek had 2 key concerns–cost and compromising staff quality. These were swiftly mitigated in the following ways:
Saving time and money
“Not having to go through the recruitment process is a gamechanger. With Sidekicker, everything is taken care of – advertising, interviewing, onboarding, payroll, etc. The ease of the platform also gives us flexibility, so we’re able to just get the right people in when we need them.
The time saved on admin significantly outweighs the cost of Sidekicker.”
Improving staff quality and retention
“The fact you can choose your own staff on Sidekicker (compared to traditional agencies) using profiles with experience and bios mitigates any potential problems with quality or brand fit. And the ability to simply blacklist staff who don’t work well with our brand allows us to continually curate our Sidekicker workforce.
We’re able to really own the relationship with the staff and rehire the best workers through private Talent Pools. And given that staff have access to other work on Sidekicker means we don’t lose the best talent during our quiet periods.
Our staff repetition has greatly increased, which means we save time training new staff when our regular Sidekicks can simply walk in the door and pick up the job on the day.
We love it when we see familiar faces applying for jobs with us and are really proud of the fact that these staff are wanting to come back to work with us time and time again”
Since February 2019 Sidekicker has provided Ticketek NZ with 100% of their casual frontline workforce. During this time the following has been achieved:
- Considerable time saved using Sidekicker to recruit and onboard new staff
- Time and financial savings with reduction of casual labour payroll and processing
- Improvement in staff quality
- Improved staff repetition & retention
- Fully engaged, well presented and happy casual employees who enjoy what they do